1 bunch of kale /collard greens or spinach (choose whichever you prefer. I used kale in this recipe). You can also use frozen versions.
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp tumeric (optional)
1/2 tsp ground corriander (optional)
1/2 tsp ground cumin (optional)
1/2 tsp ground red chillies (optional - if you want it spicy)
1 tablespoon of lemon juice (optional)
Ingredients for Ugali:
1 cup of white corn flour/corn meal
4 cups of water
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tablespoon of butter (optional)
TIP: You can use 3 cups of water if you like it more solid. I like it to be a mashed potatoes consistency and so i use a bit more water.
1) Chop the onions, tomatoes and kale finely.
2) Heat oil in saucepan and add chopped onions.
3) Add garlic.
4) Saute until golden brown and there isn't much liquid left.
6) Add salt and optional spices next.
8) Cook for a few minutes.
9) Add two cups of water and simmer with the lid covered for about 5 to 10 mins covered or until it looks like a stew/curry.
1) Boil water with salt.
2) When water starts to simmer start adding the corn flour slowly and stir at the same time.
5) Cover and turn heat to low.
6) Cook for a few minutes.
7) Once the flour doesn't stick to the sides of the pot, it's done.
8) Add butter and mix well if you want to.
TIP: Ugali is usually eaten by hand. Take a small bit of ugali and roll it into a ball. Make a dimple in the ball and scoop some sukuma wiki with it.
Calories for Sukuma Wiki: 65, Carbs: 9g, Fat: 3g, Protein: 3g, Sugar: 2g, Sodium: 417 mg
Calories for Ugali without butter: 73, Carbs: 15g, Fat: 1g, Protein:1g, Sugar: 0g, Sodium: 203 mg