1 pound of de-shelled, de-veined prawns without tail or 1 pound of cubed stewing beef or 8 skinless chicken legs and 8 skinless chicken thighs or 1 pound of cubed chicken breast*
1.5 tsp of garlic
1 tsp of ginger
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 cups of crushed/chopped tomatoes
8 tablespoons of low fat organic yogurt or 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk or 8 tablespoons of coconut cream
2 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of fried onions
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh cilantro
3 cinnamon sticks
0.5 tsp of cumin seeds
1 tsp of tumeric powder
1.5 tsp of salt
1 tsp of cinnamon powder
0.5 tsp of cumin powder
0.5 tsp of coriander powder
0.5 tablespoon of chopped onions
1 cups of rice
2 cups of water
* If you are using beef/chicken you need to marinate the meat the night before:
Yogurt, ginger, garlic and salt (above quantities). Once you add to marinade you no longer need to add these items when cooking. Follow the same process/recipe.
2) Wash prawns and soak in 0.5 tsp of salt and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
3) Add 1 tablespoon of oil in pot.
4) Heat oil and saute onion.
5) Add 0.5 teaspoon of garlic.
6) Add 0.5 tsp of salt and .5 tsp of tumeric powder.
7) Add rice and the water.
8) Cook with lid covered on medium heat until rice is cooked and water has gone.
10) Add peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, cloves and cumin seeds.
11) Saute for a few minutes and then add prawns.
12) Cook until prawns turn pink and curl in.
14) Before starting on the sauce check on the rice. If cooked and water has evaporated, then turn off and place in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 mins.
16) Add 2 cups of crushed/chopped tomatoes.
17) Saute for a few minutes and turn heat to low.
19) Add garlic, ginger, cinnamon powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and 0.5 tsp of salt.
20) Stir well and let simmer for 5 to 10 mins.
22) Add fried onions, remaining lemon juice and fresh cilantro before you serve.
Calories with rice: 232, Carbs: 27g, Fat: 5g, Protein: 17g, Sugar: 2g, Sodium: 601mg