I recently also tried this same recipe with zucchini and it was a big hit. I've added info & pictures for substituting zucchini below.
6-7 peeled carrots or 3 peeled zucchinis
1/2 onion (chopped finely)
1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon of salt
pepper to taste
1 cup of tomato sauce or marinara sauce
parsley flakes or Italian seasoning to top
TIP: You can also add 1 red pepper - chopped fine in step 5
4) Saute until golden brown.
6) Add salt and pepper.
8) Stir in the tomato sauce and simmer on low for another 5-6 mins.
Calories per serving: 110, Carbs: 18. Fat: 4, Protein: 4, Sodium: 192, Sugar:8
- .5 kg of extra lean ground chicken or turkey. (You can also use lean or extra lean ground beef. If you do, just omit the oil in the recipe)
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 an onion (chopped fine)
- 2 tablespoons of dill (i really like dill, so this is what i've used but you can use blend of italian herbs like oregano, parsley, basil)
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese (you can also use feta instead and this along with the dill will give you a greek flavoured meatball instead)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper or more according to taste.
2) Mix well.
4) Grill for about 15-20 mins until there is no pink visible and these have browned well. (I use my T-Fal Acti-Fry).
Makes approx; 15-17 meatballs
Calories per meatball: 58, Carbs: 0, Fat: 4, Protein: 6, Sodium: 44, Sugar: 0