8 to 10 pieces of chicken (i use 3 chicken breast chopped up and 4 thighs chopped, skinless and boneless)
1/4 cup of low fat/skim organic greek yogurt (optional to make it more creamy/thicker)
1/2 cup of organic coconut cream
1-2 cups of skim organic unsweetened coconut milk
1 onion chopped
2 tablespoons of organic, extra virgin coconut oil
2 can of organic tomato sauce
4 tsp of garam masala
2-4 tsp of red chilli powder
1 tablespoon of crushed garlic
1/2 tablespoon of crushed ginger
2 tsp of turmeric powder
1.5 tsp of salt
2 tsp of black pepper
2 tsp of coriander powder
2 tsp of cumin powder
2 tsp of paprika
2 tsp of organic coconut sugar
1/4 cup of unsalted organic butter or 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
Garnish with cilantro and chopped cashews
Add 2 tsp of mango powder to the spice mixture above
Add 2 tsp of cinnamon to the spice mixture above
Alternative Crockpot Version (more fat):
1) Instead of coconut cream and coconut milk, marinate with 1/2 cup of greek yogurt and half of the spices (black pepper, salt, cumin, coriander, paprika,turmeric, red chilli and garam masala.
2) Put oil or butter and saute onion with ginger and garlic with rest of the spices.
3) Add tomato sauce and saute for a few minutes.
4) Add marinated chicken to crockpot and then add tomato mixture on top and mix well.
5) Cook for 4-5 hrs on high.
6) Turn to low and add 1 litre of half and half (or full fat cream) and 1/4 cup of butter.
7) Stir and mix well.
8) Serve with rice and naan.
Instant Pot Version
1) Add oil or butter on sauté mode.
2) Add chopped onions and sauté well until golden brown
3) Add spices and sauté until fragrant
4) Cancel sauté mode and add washed chicken.
5) Add tomato sauce and layer another 1/4 cup of butter for a more authentic taste.
6) Close lid, seal and high pressure cook for 12 mins.
7) Natural release for 10 mins.
8) Stir in cream, yogurt, milk or cashew cream.
9)Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with rice and naan.
Follow directions as per cooking method above, but instead of butter, use vegan butter. Instead of chicken use cauliflower and peas or tofu. Instead of cream or yogurt use soaked cashew. 1 cup of cashews soaked in hot water for a couple of hours or overnight. In food processor blend soaked cashews with 1/2 cup of water to create a cream.
2) Chop onion and saute in coconut oil until golden brown.
7) Garnish with cilantro and chopped cashews (optional) and serve with gluten free naan or cauliflower rice.
Calories per serving with cashews as a garnish: 147, Fat: 6 g, Carbs: 8g, Protein: 11g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugars: 3 g, Sodium: 241 mg